The Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education is Advance HE’s flagship teacher development programme, modelled on programmes delivered globally including at institutions in the UK, Africa, Asia, Australasia and Europe. It offers a flexible, evidence-based and sustainable solution for the development of university-level teachers. In response to the Covid-19 crisis, Advance HE has extended the delivery mode options for this programme. It can now be delivered entirely online, entirely face-to-face or using a blended approach on a module-by-module basis.
The Certificate programme is underpinned by current learning theory and draws on best practice of “what works” in higher education. The programme facilitators model interactive and collaborative learning activities for participants that support authentic and participative learning and assessment, as well as, demonstrating creative approaches to engaging learners face-to-face or online.
Please note that this programme is only available for institutional purchase.
Want to find out more?
If you want to find out more information about the programme complete the form by clicking the button below and we will send you an information pack. Our team will be in touch to discuss your requirements further shortly.
CLTHE programme transforms Thai institution
Walailak University in Thailand started working with Advance HE in 2018 and are now supporting a fourth cohort of staff taking the Certificate of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (CLTHE) has reported that student retention has increased by 30% since they started working on developing and recognising their teaching staff.
The programme comprises three modules:
- Teaching and learning in higher education
- Enhancing professional practice in higher education
- Leading learning and teaching in higher education
Each of the three modules can be delivered online or face-to-face. We recommend a minimum of six working weeks between modules to allow participants to put their learning into practice. All modules are supported by course materials and activities in Advance HE’s virtual learning environment (VLE). Participants also benefit from access to Advance HE Connect to support the development of their own community of practice.
Who is it for?
This Certificate programme is aimed at staff who are open to new ideas and approaches that can be implemented in their own teaching. Typical participants include:
- academic staff with a minimum of 18 months experience of teaching in higher education and four hours per week teaching load, but who have had limited training in teaching practices previously
- experienced academic staff seeking new approaches to enhance their teaching practice.
As a result of committed participants attending the programme, an institution will have:
- a group of engaged staff who have been trained to international standards and can implement effective and interactive teaching techniques in their professional practice
- the foundations of a community of practice to enhance online teaching and learning, with the potential to build further internal and external networks
- quantitative and qualitative evidence of impact from the investment made in the programme.
Sustainability and capacity development
The Certificate programme can be run once or multiple times for different groups. The programme can also be run on a “train the trainer” basis, where staff that have completed the programme can support future cohorts to develop capacity and experience to deliver it in-house. This can also form the basis of developing an Advance HE accredited programme, allowing your institution to award Fellowship on our behalf in future.
Advance HE also offers the following related programmes:
- Teaching Skills Masterclass – developing the essential skills for teaching in HE contexts. The Masterclass can form module one of the Certificate in Learning and Teaching in HE if an institution wishes to further develop the programme.
- Active Digital Design – supporting staff with designing curricula for online delivery
- Fellowship Writing Workshop – supporting staff to develop an application for Fellowship