Developed by Advance HE and the Higher Education Policy Institute (Hepi), the Student Academic Experience Survey (SAES) has been tracking the the reality of student life since 2005/06. The 2023 survey, which took place between 16 January and 16 March 2023, focuses on key issues such as value for money during a cost of living crisis and the lingering impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on student satisfaction.
Key findings from the report include:
- Perception of receiving good or very good value-for-money has risen slightly, from 35% to 37%.
- The proportion of students whose experience exceeded expectations increased from 17% to 19%.
- The proportion who would choose the same course and institution again remains similar at 58%, compared to 59% in 2022.
- There has been a clear uplift in the number of students in paid employment, from 45% to 55%.
- The average number of hours per week spent in class, fieldwork or studying independently has risen from 30.7 to 33.4.
For more information about the project, please contact lead author Jonathan Neves (Jonathan.email@example.com)
SAES 2023 is available to all and can be accessed below.